Patients who suffer from Type 2 diabetes have long relied on the medications Onglyza (saxagliptin) and Kombiglyze XR (saxagliptin and metformin HCI extended release) to control blood sugar levels.
However, these drugs carry potentially fatal risks including pancreatic cancer and heart failure. As a result, many Type 2 diabetes patients are now being faced with life-threatening conditions as a result of taking Onglyza and Kombiglyze XR.
If you’ve been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer or heart failure after taking Onglyza or Kombiglyze XR and believe the drugs may have been the cause, you could be entitled to file a claim against the pharmaceuticals’ manufacturers, AstraZeneca and Bristol-Myers Squibb.
What does the FDA say about Onglyza & Kombiglyze XR?
- Onglyza and Kombiglyze XR “may increase the risk of heart failure, particularly in patients who already have heart or kidney disease”
- New FDA safety warnings about the potential for heart failure were added to the drugs’ labels in 2016, following an investigation
- A separate investigation was launched in 2013 after studies found that Onglyza and Kombiglyze XR carry an increased risk of pancreatitis (which boosts the likelihood of developing pancreatic cancer) and pre-cancerous cellular changes
- A warning label for pancreatitis was added to the drugs’ safety labels in 2011
- The FDA continues to investigate the possible link between the drugs and pancreatic cancer
Meanwhile, a separate trial known as the SAVOR study also found that patients taking Onglyza had a 27% higher chance of being hospitalized for heart failure.
Legal claims against Onglyza & Kombiglyze XR include:
- Type 2 diabetes patients took the drugs without knowing their serious risks
- Patients developed heart failure and pancreatic cancer as a result of taking Onglyza and Kombiglyze XR
- Patients died from heart failure and pancreatic cancer as a result of taking Onglyza and Kombiglyze XR
- The drugs’ manufacturers (AstraZeneca and Bristol-Myers Squibb) did not conduct proper safety tests prior to releasing the drugs
- The manufacturers knew or should have known about the drugs’ dangers
- The manufacturers did not adequately provide warnings of the drugs’ risks to patients or the medical community
- AstraZeneca and Bristol-Myers Squibb fraudulently and/or negligently marketed the drugs
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with heart failure or pancreatic cancer after taking Onglyza or Kombiglyze XR, you could be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Disability or permanent injury
- Lost wages/loss of earning capability
- Punitive damages
- Rehabilitation costs
- Wrongful death
The attorneys at McWhirter, Bellinger & Associates are interested in hearing about your experience with these drugs and are standing by to give you a free case evaluation.
Call us today at 888-353-5513. It won’t cost you anything to see if we can help.